Faculty Research Spotlight: Dr. Walter DeKeseredy

Walter DeKeseredy, white male with grey hair, smiling at camera, Anne Deane Carlson Endowed Chair of Social Sciences, Director of the Research Center on Violence, and Professor of Sociology
“Adult Pornography and Violence Against Women in the Heartland: Results From a Rural Southeast Ohio Study“ by Dr. Walter DeKeseredy, Anna Deane Carlson Endowed Chair of Social Sciences, Director of the Research Center on Violence, and Professor of Sociology, was selected as one of the top 25 articles in Violence Against Women last year. It received 15 citations and was downloaded 2,768 times since published.

1.  What is your title at WVU, what do you research, and what led you to the field?

I am Anna Deane Carlson Endowed Chair of Social Sciences, Director of the Res, and Professor of Sociology. My deep concern about enhancing women’s health and well-being led me to do empirical, theoretical and policy work on various types of violence against women.

2.  What does your article discuss? How has it influenced the discipline?

This article presents new qualitative data on the relationship between men’s pornography consumption and separation/divorce violence against women in rural communities. This piece is published in the leading journal in the field ( Violence Against Women). It was downloaded 2,798 times since it was published, making it one of the top 25 articles in Violence Against Women last year.

3.  What is your philosophy on research?

My approach to studying violence against women and other social problems is to focus on how broader social forces contribute to individual and group behaviors.

4.   Are there any current projects you are working on?

I am currently writing the second edition of my book Contemporary Critical Criminology and I am preparing to conduct a study of the Incel movement (involuntarily celebate men). Further, I am writing and publishing journal articles based on two of my previous studies. Also, I am Guest Editor of special issues of Violence Against Women and the International Journal of Rural Criminology.

5.   What professional associations are you affiliated with?

I am affiliated with the American Society of Criminology, the Academy of Criminal Justice Sciences, and the Australian New Zealand Society of Criminology.

6.   What do you enjoy doing outside of work?

I enjoy cycling, walking, golfing, working out in a gym, and watching hockey and movies.