Graduate Handbook (Fall 2022)
The objective of the PhD program in Sociology is to train students to work as professional sociologists in academia, government positions, community agencies, and private industry. We strive to provide students with the skills they need to be successful in their careers. Students who graduate f rom our program will be able to use sociological theory to evaluate the social world. Students will have the methodological skills needed to develop a research program and assess social issues. Students will be able to critically analyze the canonical literature in one of the three specialty areas offered through the program – crime, community, or culture. Students will be able to explain professional practice and ethics as they relate to sociology and will be familiar with the current state of knowledge, research, and needs of sociology as a discipline.
Students graduating with a PhD in Sociology will be able to:
- Effectively communicate, orally and in writing, the current state of knowledge, research, and needs in the field of sociology
- Conduct independent and original research of publishable quality
- Develop a research program to evaluate social issues using sociological theories and methodological skills
- Critically analyze the canonical literature in one of the three specialty areas (crime, community, or culture)
- Explain professional practice and ethics as they relate to sociology